CCRP FAQ Index
25th February 1998
The CCRP Team
Copyright © 1998-2004 Common Controls Replacement Project
Microsoft frequently provides
updates to comctl32.dll. These updates add new features to the controls found in
comctl32.dll. At the time of writing, there are four versions of comctl32.dll available:
- version 4.00 - Installed by Windows 95
- version 4.70 - Installed by Internet Explorer 3
- version 4.71 - Installed by Internet Explorer 4
- version 4.72 - A version released after Internet Explorer 4
which, for the first time, is redistributable.
Each CCRP control implements a ComCtlVer property that
returns the version of comctl32.dll installed on the computer.
Obtaining the comctl32.dll Redistributable Update
In order to redistribute version 4.72 of comctl32.dll, you must download a
self-extracting EXE from Microsoft's web site.
Certain features implemented in our controls require a minimum version of comctl32.dll to
function correctly. No error will occur if the version is previous to this but the control
will degrade gracefully and not use that feature or there may be alternative functionality
built into the control that emulates the functionality in higher versions of comctl32.dll
and this functionality is used as appropriate.
The following lists the properties that are require a minimum version of comctl32.dll to
- The TimerType property requires version 4.70 of comctl32.dll
- The OpenAVIResource, OpenAVIResourceFromDLL and
OpenStandardAVIResource work best under version 4.71 or higher. If a version lower than
4.70 is present then the control will still load an AVI resource but there is some
additional overhead when opening the AVI resource. It is therefore recommended that if you
wish to use the AVI resource functionality of the control, you install the redistributable
update to comctl32.dll on machines on which your application is being used.
Progress Bar Control
- The Smooth and Vertical properties require version 4.70 of
- The BackColor and FillColor properties require version 4.71
- The Max, Min and Value properties all now support the full
32-bit integer range but version 4.70 of comctl32.dll is required for this to be
supported. However, if this version of comctl32.dll is not present, the control will
emulate the full 32-bit range.
- You can emulate the functionality of the FillColor property
using graphical mode with an appropriate image if you wish.